Complete ‘Live’ Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor Training
Maximize Your Potential. Become Exceptional
Next Live Training:
27 July–14 August 2020
8am–10am Los Angeles
11am–1pm New York
Direct Live Tuition with Oxygen Advantage® Creator, Patrick McKeown Limited Places Available
Why Choose 'Live' Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor Training?
The ‘Live’ Advanced Instructor Training is our most comprehensive Oxygen Advantage® Program. As a coach, therapist, or health professional, whatever your background, this training will give you:
- The COMPLETE skill set necessary to achieve and maintain health and performance transformations for your clients
- The unique chance to LEARN DIRECTLY from breathing expert Patrick McKeown in a ‘live’ class setting
- Tools that WILL enhance your own personal and professional potential
- The satisfaction that comes from seeing your clients and students achieve MEASURABLE RESULTS
- An in-depth understanding of the tools, tactics and strategies required to TAILOR EACH CLIENT EXPERIENCE
If you have already registered for our Functional Breathing (Level 1) training, there’s good news… The cost of your training is deducted from the fee for the Advanced Live training, so you can join for an investment of just 600 US Dollars. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this discount when registering.
Potential: the ability to develop, achieve, or succeed
Become a Complete Oxygen Advantage® Instructor Investment: $995
For a one-off investment of $995, you will receive over 100 hours’ worth of study material comprising:
- Online pre-recorded video tutorials with Patrick McKeown exploring the complete theory and practice of the Oxygen Advantage® Program
- Hard and soft copies of the instructor training manual and the athletes’ manual, both written by Patrick McKeown
- Access to fourteen hours of live online classes with Patrick, covering topics including sleep, stress and anxiety (value $1,400)
- Marketing images, logos and designs to use on your own website, and the tools to teach the program to your clients
- The chance to join a global network of instructors (35 countries and fast growing)
To register, simply complete the form and make payment. You will receive an email confirmation giving you immediate access to the instructor training portal where you can begin studying straight away.
Register Today. Become Inspired
Become an Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor
You will learn to teach scientifically proven protocols and breathing exercises that will help your clients become fitter, healthier and stronger, and improve their recovery time after injury. No previous knowledge or experience in breathwork is necessary. It’s easy to complete the course from the comfort of your own home in just a few weeks.
14 Hours of Live Online Instructor Training with Patrick McKeown – Worth $1400
Discover everything that Patrick has learned from his nearly 20 years of research and coaching. Gain an in-depth understanding of his work with top experts. Learn the method that has secured him a place as a leading international breathwork specialist… and understand the techniques he uses every day with some of the world’s top athletes. Whether it’s Olympic medalists, professional soccer players, elite runners, MMA fighters, weightlifters, “weekend warriors”, diabetics or dieters, Patrick has helped a wide range of persons to improve their health, performance and quality of life.
Your “live” interactive classes take place via Zoom. All classes are recorded and uploaded to an online training portal for lifetime access, along with a wealth of learning materials for you to study in your own time. The classes are limited in size to ensure that you get full value.
Register Today – Lifetime Access Guaranteed Your Investment: 995 US Dollars
How can I use the training?
The Oxygen Advantage® Program is based on the two pillars of Functional Breathing and Simulation of High Altitude Training.
Functional Breathing has been proven to help with:
- Overall health
- Exercise performance and stamina
- Breathing during Yoga
- Lower back pain, posture and core muscle strength
- PTSD, anxiety, depression and panic disorder
- High stress and mental agitation
- Energy, focus and concentration
- Insomnia and snoring
- Fatigue and mood
- Rhinitis (stuffy nose and hay fever)
- Asthma and exercise-induced bronchoconstriction
- Diabetes and epilepsy control
- Depression and anxiety in people with comorbid conditions like bipolar disorder, that prevent the use of anti-depressant medication
High Altitude Simulation Breathing Exercises have been proven to:
- Delay the onset of fatigue and lactic acid
- Improve repeated sprint ability for team sports such as rugby and football
- Improve respiratory muscle strength
- Improve aerobic capacity
- Increase production of EPO (erythropoietin) safely and legally
- Improve running economy and run time
- Improve swimming performance
- Reduce oxidative stress
“The Oxygen Advantage. I had no idea how critical it is to do nasal breathing. It is amazing stuff.”
“As an elite freediver I have always been aware of the benefits of correct breathing. This book was inspiring me to spread the message to family, friends and colleagues. Especially the fact that breathing less, not breathing more, will provide better oxygenation is a revelation for most of them. Many of them were able to reduce their stress levels and even anxiety through correct breathing.”
“The Oxygen Advantage has helped my Olympians become more aware of their breathing. We practice nasal breathing during foam rolling, warm ups, cool downs and during certain prescribed exercise. I would highly recommend Oxygen Advantage to any coach looking to get any additional benefit for their athletes.”
I am a 20 year rugby player here in the US, and I am the head coach for a major university in Texas. I am 39 years old, and I cannot think of a single thing in my entire life as an athlete that has benefitted and increased my fitness as much as this book has for me. I have since suggested it to two teammates, and they are having similar results. I am going to be honest, this should be required reading for every aspiring or current athlete, and every organized sports team should require all their athletes to read it.
My BOLT score started out at around 10, and after a few months of doing the exercises I am at 40. My sleep has improved, and although I still struggle to breathe through my nose during sleep, the Breath Light to Breathe Right exercises help me to do so. I use Breath Right strips and occasionally tape my mouth shut, and the difference I feel when I wake up is amazing.
The most profound benefit of Patrick’s research and book, though, are the crazy increases in my cardiovascular fitness that I have witnessed, even at 39 years old! I am still an active player on a high level rugby club, and I literally have hardly tired during a rugby match this season. Yes, rugby is still a very physically demanding sport, but I am not nearly as out of breath or tired as I used to be. The only change I have implemented are the exercises highlighted in the book, and making sure to breathe through my nose while I recover. I am not to the point where I can breathe through my nose during high intensity exercise yet, but the increase in my BOLT score and the breathing through my nose while recovering has made a huge difference. My only regret is that I did not find this book 10-15 years ago!
“I have taken the Oxygen Advantage Instructor course and can’t say enough good things about it! I have been taping my mouth for my strength training sessions as well as my Tactical training. I have been playing with the knowledge Patrick McKeown has so willingly shared and began experimenting with my Team. The conditioning results have been exceptional but I expected that based on what I learned in the course.
Using OA for the reduction of stress in SWAT and other High Stress Law Enforcement activities is what I am most interested in now and I have a lot to work with thanks again to Patrick McKeown. For those out there who are considering taking the course do yourself a favor get off the fence and do it. Money well invested in your health!”
“Mastering one of the most powerful mechanism in our body can have a tremendous impact on both well being and performance. Because we breath 24/24, breath training is potentially endless. I have been looking for a technique that could effortlessly trigger diaphragmatic breathing to improve the mind/ body connection. Thanks to the Oxygen Advantage, I have discovered that nose breathing and breath holds could also enhance the fitness level of my athletes through simulation of altitude training. Moving towards the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, we have now integrated the Oxygen advantage breathing techniques into our daily training and recovery.”
“The Oxygen Advantage is one of the best books that I have read this entire year…one of my favorite books in the world actually”
“Patrick’s book, The Oxygen Advantage® is a godsend for anyone wishing to improve their performance in a way that doesn’t involve hours of strenuous workouts, drills, and endless miles of running. I’ve been doing nose breathing for the past ten years and it has totally revolutionized my running and seriously dropped my effort levels… at every speed! It’s simple to incorporate into your training and your daily life. and the results are astounding. I now recommend it in all of my running classes and training programs. Every runner or athlete should have this book. If you’re not breathing right, you’re working too hard.”
“Patrick McKeown is a researcher and coach at the cutting edge of optimal breathing strategies. He works with world class athletes as well as everyday people, using simple exercises to help them to correct dysfunctional breathing patterns which can result in life-changing health and fitness benefits”
“This is one of the best courses I have attended, and offered so much more beyond the book in terms of information and practical application. Patrick breaks down the physiology of breathing, and how it affects performance, health, and physical well being.”
“Many know that I am a major fan of using simple, inexpensive lifestyle changes to avoid expensive and dangerous medications and surgery. The Oxygen Advantage®, which is an extension of Patrick McKeown’s work as a Buteyko coach, is one strategy that I believe should be included in your health habit arsenal. There simply are no downsides that I can identify and there are massive upsides. I use it personally, and would strongly encourage you to apply it to your life so you can reap the rewards.”
Oxygen is the forgotten nutrient and you can have too much and too little. Many more health problems than most realise result because of it. This book provides a vital missing piece in the health equation.
“The Yoga Sutras don’t actually suggest big breaths and this is a very misunderstood concept in yoga. The Sutras talk about breath retention and slowing the breath down. When the breath moves too much, the mind also moves too much. Try slowing your breath down and breathing less to test out the effects on overall calmness. You will experience a deeper state of meditation if you can reduce your breath. Next time your teacher suggests a big breath, think deep instead of big. Try to breathe down into your belly, allowing your diaphragm to expand towards your navel. Enjoy quiet relaxation as your exhale. Smile at your instructor, as you know the difference between big and deep.”
In his excellent book The Oxygen Advantage, something of a bible on nose-breathing, Patrick McKeown writes, ‘Breathing through the mouth has been proven to significantly increase the number of occurrences of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea…As any child is aware, the nose is made for breathing, the mouth for eating.’
For any athlete, oxygen is king. Despite this the role of breathing is seldom considered. The Oxygen Advantage® is about breathing to improve oxygen uptake, along with specific breath holding techniques to simulate high altitude training. Having a higher aerobic and anaerobic capacity enables us to do more with less, to exercise faster and further with each breath.
Hi Patrick, I am enjoying reading The Oxygen Advantage immensely. I have implemented nasal breathing as much as possible, and am telling my chest and abdomen to relax. I’m much more conscious of my breathing at work, when walking and throughout the day. I can easily run 5/10k now, and cycle, while only nasal breathing. This has been a revelation. I also try to only nasal breathe while I train. I recently travelled to Poland to represent Ireland in the European Kettlebell Championships and won gold in my category with a 41 rep PB. I was unusually calm in the week running up to the lift. The day before when most of the team seemed high on jitters and anxiety, I felt calm and ready. Normally I am a bag of nerves before any competition or test, never mind something this big. I think a big part of the reason my mind felt so calm was from using what I have learned from reading (most of) both your books. I’d like to say thank you and I know I’m only at the very tip of the iceberg with all of this but I’m excited about the potential!
What Patrick and his team have been able to accomplish with their research and practice is astounding. They have introduced certain types of exercises that call for you to hold your breath while walking, jogging and sometimes running. Like running wasn’t hard enough already. Essentially, they’ve figured out a way to improve your oxygen carrying capacity and deliver more oxygen to your organs and muscles. Another goal is to train the body to reduce lactic acid build up, thereby delaying the onset of fatigue. http://GoIrishRunners.com/
I really enjoyed your book “The Oxygen Advantage®,“ I wished I would have came across it in my childhood. I play football in the NFL and my bolt score was 13. 3 weeks later I’m at 30 and improving thanks to you. I play wide receiver so I am running a lot and it’s gotten so easy. Your book was an eye opener to me and I am in better shape for another opportunity because I’m so much better at the simple act of breathing. It really does add up!
I wanted to write to thank you for sharing your amazing breathing technique and making it so easy to learn and follow. I have had insomnia and anxiety for years, which I just assumed was ‘hard wired’. After making some simple changes – doing the mouth taping, the light breathing exercises and some of the walking / jogging exercises I feel like a completely new person. I sleep solidly through the night. I feel like I can take anything on at work and any stressor that comes up. I am no longer chronically congested and clearing my throat. I even look forward to physical exercise and have really increased my fitness level. When really relaxed my Bolt score is up to 38 from around 14. Now it seems really weird to see others at the gym heaving and grunting manically. The only challenge is trying to convince others – including trainers – that I really am working hard when they can’t see me breathing! You have shared something really valuable and special with the world and I am passing this on to everyone I know. Thank you so much.
Stumbled upon this book. I’ve had exercise induced asthma and allergies that I thought I’d have to manage for the rest of my life. Honestly this book has changed my life. Through taping my mouth at night and breathing through my nose while running and cycling, it seems to have eliminated my asthma and allergies have also vastly reduced. I have applied principles this over 3 months and seen benefits almost immediately.
Feel lucky to have found this and happy to spread the word.
I was amazed and excited to read this book. I have been crosscountry and road running for 50 years and never once did it occur to me that I could run breathing through my nose. I have followed the well laid out programme starting with ‘breath light to breath right’, followed by breath holding at home and during regular walks. I have increased my running mileage to 9 miles, entirely using nasal breathing. My BOLT score has increased from an initial 28 to 40+. I have just turned 70 and although running is a little more demanding I am enjoying it even more. Just goes to show that this programme can be followed at any age, as long as you are reasonably fit and healthy. I can heartily recommend this book to anyone who wishes to enhance their fitness and general health.
I found Patrick by chance really. I was looking to bring a speaker in to talk to our staff, a speaker related to one of our wellness tenants. With Breathing being one of our wellness tenants I found Patrick online. I was immediately intrigued as soon as I started to read his material as I felt my own breathing could definitely improve with his methods. Patrick came and spoke to our staff for just over an hour and the presentation and material were both excellent. Both practical and informative I and the staff walked away with methods and information we could use straight away to improve our daily breathing and wellbeing. I have since started to read Patrick’s book ‘The Oxygen Advantage’ and would highly recommend it.
I didn’t realise the detrimental effect of breathing through the mouth during rest and the importance of nasal breathing. Breathing too much actually reduces the amount of oxygen delivered throughout the body. This runs counter to the prevailing belief in sport but is based on medical physiology. We learn about the role oxygen plays in the body but not how oxygen is delivered from the red bloods cells and that is the important part to understand. Patrick McKeown’s book does just that, including exercises to simulate high altitude training to condition the body to do more with less. Implementing these exercises results in improved health and in turn better sports performance.
Patrick McKeown, breathing trainer and author of The Oxygen Advantage®, recommends breathing through your nose…It’ll feel weird, but within a few weeks, you’ll notice you can exercise longer and don’t tire as quickly.
The materials and concepts Patrick McKeown brings us in ‘The Oxygen Advantage®’ are consistent with currently accepted western medical physiologic theories and, surprisingly, correlate well with the philosophies of many eastern sciences. Please remember that not everyone breathes in the same way, but only those who breathe in the right way will gain the best benefits from their physical exercise.
Patrick McKeown`s Oxygen Advantage® breathing techniques bring simple solutions empowering our daily efforts to build up wellness, health, and fitness in a few weeks program. These are evidence based and cost-effective techniques.
At the age of 55, one of my joys in life is training for and competing in sprint triathlons. Becoming efficient with available time is crucial for me to be able to compete well, maintain a full time practice and still spend quality time with my wife and children. This year I discovered Oxygen Advantage® and implemented it’s breathing techniques while swimming, biking and running. It taught me how to be more effective in my breathing and I soon noticed that during routine workouts I was very familiar with, I was breathing easier and noticeably less fatigued. The benefits of my new breathing became very apparent to me during my last triathlon, which I have competed in three times, when I reduced my 750m swim time by 2 minutes (as compared to my previous best) and subsequently won the Master’s Division which is comprised of those over 40. Additionally, I even came in 3rd overall.
This program has been a remarkable tool to improve my training and my everyday well-being.
As a top level soccer player I have always had to be in top condition in order to compete and outperform my competitors. When it came to endurance I was always one of the most fit players, but I never knew I could become more fit just by learning to breathe correctly. Thanks to Patrick McKeown’s Oxygen Advantage and his team, I have seen a transformation not only in my training and performance, but in my overall well being. The results from learning to breathe correctly will only continue to make me a better player!
Upcoming course dates:
Monday July 27 to August 14, 2020
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 1: MON 27 JULY 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Screening for breathing pattern disorders in sports
- The relationship between breathing patterns and functional movement
- Science of respiratory physiology
- Increasing oxygen uptake during physical exercise
- Practical demonstration of Breathe Light
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 2: TUES 28 JULY 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK):
- Increasing oxygen uptake during physical exercise
- Nasal versus oral breathing during exercise
- In-depth examination of each Oxygen Advantage® breathing exercise
- Addressing exercise induced asthma
- Improving sleep quality for focus and performance
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 3: WED 29 JULY 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Carbon dioxide and how it impacts breathlessness during exercise
- Reducing the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide
- Ventilatory response to CO2 and VO2 max
- Practical: One-hour Oxygen Advantage® breathing workout
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 4: TUES 4 AUGUST 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Simulate high altitude training (intermittent hypoxic/hypercapnic training)
- Increase aerobic capacity (EPO, spleen contraction)
- Delay the onset of lactic acid and fatigue (improved buffering capacity)
- Benefits of OA training for running, swimming, cycling, team sports
- Practical: One-hour Oxygen Advantage® breathing workout
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 5: WED 5 AUGUST 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Pre-competition preparation
- Oxygen Advantage® and Wim Hof Method
- Teaching Oxygen Advantage® breathing exercises
- Tailoring exercises to individual athletes
- Practical: One-hour Oxygen Advantage® breathing workout
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 6: THURS 6 AUGUST 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Slow breathing and heart rate variability (HRV)
- Weightlifting and breath holding
- Intra-abdominal pressure and core strength
- Intra-abdominal pressure and core strength
- Teaching the Oxygen Advantage®: One-hour workout
- Practical: One-hour Oxygen Advantage® breathing workout
LIVE ONLINE CLASS 7: FRI 14 AUGUST 2020 (8AM-10AM LOS ANGELES, 11AM-1PM NEW YORK, 4PM-6PM LONDON, UK)
- Marketing the Oxygen Advantage®
- Business Matters
- Practical: Oxygen Advantage® breathing workout
why invest in breath training?
If you’re reading this page, the chances are you’re already more than a little bit interested in the breath and what it can do for you. You may already have completed our Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training and want to deepen your knowledge and practice. Perhaps you’ve read an article or book about the breath and want to learn practical ways to apply the science. Or, since the topic is currently trending, maybe you’ve been asked questions by your clients that you don’t know how to fully answer…
Functional breathing is a vital missing link in fitness, health and quality of life. It is cost-effective, suitable for everyone and has almost endless applications, without the need for any costly equipment. Yet most people are unaware that the breath can be trained. If your energy is low, you might consider taking supplements, changing your diet, drinking more water or pushing yourself to work harder rather than exploring how breathing, sleep and mental stress may be affecting your body. That’s a lot of money, time and effort when the answer is quite literally under your nose.
Some more facts about breathing:
Breathing is our first and most fundamental motor pattern. Every single person carries the breath with them every single day. Yet a surprising proportion of people have breathing pattern disorders, sleep-disordered breathing and a poor understanding of the breath. While you might appreciate why elite athletes or corporate high-fliers could find breath training useful, it may be less obvious exactly how far reaching the applications are, and how you can apply them to your work. There are some interesting facts about breathing on our Functional Breathing page, but let’s look again at why functional breathing training is relevant for everyone:
- Breath retraining can be used in sport and endurance, and as a primary or adjunct therapy for physical and mental health conditions including anxiety, panic disorder, depression, sleep apnea, insomnia, hypertension, diabetes, epilepsy, childhood development, behavioral disorders, asthma, menopause, headache, back pain, chronic pain conditions and even some medically unexplained symptoms.
- The way you breathe influences how your body processes oxygen. Unhealthy breathing can reduce the amount of oxygen that is released from the lungs to the blood, and from the blood to the tissues and cells.
- Carbon dioxide is not just a waste gas. In fact, it provides the primary stimulus to breathe and plays an important role in the dilation of blood vessels. When you ignore the importance of CO2 in favor of oxygen, you actually prevent the body from properly oxygenating.
- A low sensitivity to CO2 is beneficial for general health and for sporting performance. Studies have shown that this lower sensitivity is one of the things that separates outstanding endurance athletes from the competition (McGurk et al., 1995). If this sounds complicated, don’t worry. You’ll soon understand what it means and how to apply it.
- Mouth breathing can restrict the airways, even when you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Despite what many sports coaches and meditation teachers will tell you, it is not a good idea to breathe like this. Scientists have proven that it causes the nose to become 200 percent more congested than when breathing is only through the nostrils (Strohl et al., 1992).
- Many methods used by clinicians to screen for dysfunctional breathing are ineffective and return inaccurate results (Kiesel et al., 2017).
- Women who suffer premenstrual syndrome (PMS) are actually experiencing imbalances of blood gases due to cyclical hyperventilation. This means that the breath can be used to alleviate this debilitating condition (Chaitow, 2012/Ott et al., 2006).
- Slow breathing can help in the treatment of insomnia. Scientists believe it represents a better long-term solution than the over-prescription of hypnotic drugs (Ravinder et al., 2019).
- Asthma is very common in elite endurance athletes. A Swedish study of 38,603 adults who were participating in endurance competitions reported that 12 percent had asthma – a far higher figure than the 4.3 percent of 18 to 45-year-olds worldwide reported by the Global Asthma Report 2018 (Näsman et al., 2018).
- A significant number of unrelated studies have drawn the conclusion that a breathing rate of six breaths per minute activates the ‘rest and digest’ branch of the autonomic nervous system via the vagus nerve and provides the best conditions for lung health, oxygenation, heart health, resilience and healthy blood pressure (Russo et al., 2017).
- The diaphragm is the main breathing muscle, and it’s also vital for postural control. When you breathe in, the diaphragm descends, and a positive pressure is generated in the abdomen. This ‘intra-abdominal pressure’ acts like an inflated balloon, stabilizing the spine and the pelvis (Key, 2013). This is really important for functional movement, for understanding the core, and for injury prevention.
- It is possible to simulate high altitude training with the use of breath holding exercises. Training in this way can produce better aerobic and anaerobic capacity, allowing the body to stimulate anaerobic glycolysis (the process by which blood sugar is broken down to form energy-giving lactose), improving the strength of the breathing muscles and tolerance to breathlessness and reducing the ventilatory response to hypercapnia and hypoxia. It gives increased VO2 max and produces better running economy, better repeated sprint ability for team sports and better-sustained fitness during rest or injury.
Join our growing international team and provide your clients and students with a comprehensive breathing program. We will supply you with all of the knowledge that you need to become a fully certified Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor from the comfort of your own home.
Patrick McKeown BA, MA, is considered to be one of the foremost teachers of functional breathing. He has authored eight books, is published in 14 languages and has taught breathing for mind, body and sports since 2002. He has worked with more than 7,000 clients from children to elderly, from the most unwell to elite athletes. He has channeled a wealth of experience, expertise and passion into the delivery of this simple, easy to follow training, in order to share his approach with others, so that many more people can enjoy better health, performance and quality of life.
“When I was a young child, I suffered from asthma, tightness in my chest and constant wheezing. My nose was always congested, and so I learned to breathe through my mouth. This caused me to snore and sometimes even suffer sleep apnea at night. Things worsened during my teens and early twenties. I remember feeling tired all the time, and I struggled at school and university. No matter how hard I worked, my grades were only ever average. In 1994, I underwent nasal surgery, but there was no follow-up or information about how to restore nasal breathing, and so my breathing problems didn’t improve at all.
What I didn’t realize at the time was that my dysfunctional breathing was limiting the amount of oxygen that reached my brain on an ongoing basis. This caused me to experience tension, fatigue, stress and constant over-thinking. Eventually, my intake of asthma medication increased to the point that I ended up in hospital. I desperately needed help.
As luck would have it, in 1998 I chanced upon a newspaper article about the work of Dr. Konstantin Buteyko. His breathing method was fairly unknown at the time, but I do remember the newspaper piece contained instructions for an exercise to unblock the nose using a breath holding technique. I tried it, and it worked. In fact, it made such an impression that I made the switch to nasal breathing full time. I also made an effort to breathe more slowly, and to normalize my breathing volume. Within just a few days, I began to notice I had significantly more energy, my head felt clearer, my sleep was more restful, and I didn’t need to struggle to breathe. The changes I felt were so marked that I was inspired to find out more about the Buteyko Method, and to focus my new-found energy sharing it with other people. I received accreditation from Dr. Buteyko in 2002 and ever since then have worked with the breath, devising my own methods and applications in the Oxygen Advantage®.
Now in my mid forties, my health, focus and quality of life are unrecognizably better than they were in my teens. I’ve turned my entire life around simply by learning functional breathing techniques, and that’s why I am so passionate about teaching others to do the same.”
Based in Galway, Ireland, Patrick was educated at Trinity College Dublin and completed his clinical training in Russia in 2002. He is breathing adviser to Laird Hamilton’s XPT, Fellow of The Royal Society of Biology and published by international medical journals and leading book publishers. A TEDx …. Patrick’s work has… …touched the lives of thousands worldwide.
Patrick’s latest book, The Oxygen Advantage (published in fourteen languages), combines specially formulated techniques to reduce breathlessness during physical exercise, increase oxygen delivery to the brain, improve sleep and concentration, and retain focus under stress.
Patrick has worked with elite military Special Forces, SWAT, Olympic coaches and athletes, and with 173 trained instructors worldwide, Oxygen Advantage® is recognized as a foremost authority in breathing for exercise performance and sleep.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does the Complete Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Live Training provide?
The training comprises detailed instruction in all of the Oxygen Advantage® exercises and methods. You will learn how to put the theory into practice. You will receive all of the video modules, hard and soft copies of the instructor and athletes’ manuals, fourteen hours of live coaching with Patrick via Zoom and lifetime access to the training portal where you can revisit any of the material in your own time. As an added bonus, once you have completed the course, you are also welcome to sign up for any future training sessions in order to refresh your skills.
Will this course certify me to teach the Oxygen Advantage®?
Yes, you will be fully certified to teach the entire Oxygen Advantage® Program to your clients, students and athletes. This certification is for life with no need for renewal of training. You are however, encouraged to join our regular live Zoom classes with Patrick as a refresher should you require.
What are the course objectives?
The Oxygen Advantage® Program is based on the two pillars of Functional Breathing and Simulation of High Altitude Training. During this training you will learn the in depth theory and practice of both.
What materials are provided?
You receive instant lifetime access to our complete advanced online training portal for instructors, with video teaching modules, recording of your live classes with Patrick, supporting online research library and downloadable PDF of training manuals. You also receive a hard copy of the manuals by post.
Is there an exam?
Yes, you are required to pass an online exam following your study. This exam is multiple choice answer. It can be completed and saved in stages. Also, if you do not pass the first time, you may try again until you successfully pass. In addition to the online exam, you are also required to submit 3 case studies (template and instructions provided). You will be required to teach the method to 3 clients (can be existing clients, friends or family) over a period of 3 weeks and submit written reports of results. The exam and case studies template are located on the training portal under ‘Exam & Case Studies’.
Do I receive a physical certificate?
Upon successful completion of online exam and case studies, you will receive a digital certificate. Your profile as a certified Advanced Instructor will also be added to our website for your location.
Is there follow up support?
Throughout the training support is available to you via email (email@example.com) where Patrick or a member of his team will answer your questions. You may also pose questions during the live classes via Zoom with Patrick (messaging facility) and receive answers in real time. You will be invited to join our closed members group on Facebook for OA Instructors and can also join the conversation there. Lastly, you will be added to our instructors’ mailing list and will receive regular updates from Patrick via email.
During the course, how do I reach out if I’m having a problem or want to ask a question?
During the training, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
What is the difference between Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training and Live Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor Training?
Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training comprises pillar 1 of the Oxygen Advantage® Training. Advanced Live Instructor Training comprises both Functional Breathing and Simulation of High Altitude Training (both pillars of the Oxygen Advantage® Program). In addition, our Advanced Live Training includes 14 hours of live classes via Zoom with Patrick, offering the opportunity to receive direct coaching and training with Patrick in a small online group.
I want to start with Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training but may decide to upskill with the Advanced Live Training in the future. Do I have to pay the full course fee for both?
No, you will not have to pay twice. If you decide to start with Functional Breathing training (Level 1) and initially pay $395, when you wish to register for the Advanced Instructor Training, email us at email@example.com and we will deduct $395 from the Advanced Training fee of $995. Please contact us to arrange this.
Taking the training
The live aspect of the Advanced Oxygen Advantage® Instructor training consists of seven two-hour live Zoom classes with Patrick. Places on this course are strictly limited to ensure the best learning experience, so there are plenty of opportunities during the live classes to interact with Patrick, ask questions or clarify instruction.
NB: If you miss a live class, you may still access the recording of it on your training portal. We understand that class times may not suit all time zones. All live classes are recorded and uploaded in a timely fashion to your online training portal for replay in your own time. This feature is also really useful if you attended a previous training but wish to cover the information again. View and study the lessons as many times as you want in your own time.
Once you have completed your Live training, you may also automatically attend any future online training sessions free of charge to refresh your skills
The Theory module covers topics including:
- The advantages of nasal breathing during rest and physical exercise
- Breathing efficiency
- The science of measuring and reducing breathlessness
- How to improve VO2 max
- Intermittent hypoxia training (IHT) and its effect on running economy
- Hypercapnic/hypoxic training
- How to delay the onset of lactic acid and fatigue
- Long term effects
- Breath holding in practice
- Pre-match preparation
In order to successfully certify you will need to pass the online exam. The exam entry fee and certification is included in the overall cost of the program, which also features lifetime access to the Oxygen Advantage® training portal and to recordings of your live classes.
If you are new to breathwork, you may like to start with Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training while you explore the possibilities in your coaching practice. If you decide to proceed to the Advanced Instructor Training after completing Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training, we simply deduct your initial investment from the Live course fee so you aren’t paying twice. And if you want to dive straight in at the deep end, you can do that too with our Complete Advanced Live Instructor Training. As with Functional Breathing (Level 1) Training, there are no prerequisites for registration except for an appetite for learning and a strong desire to excel. And if you’ve read this far, both of those are pretty much a given!
What’s more, the benefits don’t end once you’ve finished the course. As a certified Advanced Oxygen Advantage® instructor your investment of $995 ensures you receive:
- Full use of the Oxygen Advantage® royalty free images, marketing materials and logos
- Personal Profile Listing as a certified instructor on the OxygenAdvantage.com website so that clients can find you, and the option to list your upcoming trainings on your profile. In addition we will refer clients who contact us looking for a certified instructor in your area.
- Trademark status for the name “Oxygen Advantage®” in Europe, North America and Australia when teaching the Oxygen Advantage® (in order that the original breathing exercises are taught in a safe and effective way, the Oxygen Advantage® Program can only be taught by Oxygen Advantage® certified instructors)
- Ongoing individual follow-up support with Patrick McKeown via email and Facebook
- Membership of our members only Oxygen Advantage® Instructors Facebook Group where you can ask for feedback, connect with other instructors and share information and ideas
- And don’t forget, you have lifetime access to your training portal, AND the additional bonus of being able to sign up for any future Live training classes if you want to refresh your knowledge and skills!
How can I apply the training in my professional life?
Once you’ve passed the exam, it’s up to you how you use the training. You may discover that this course is the missing link that takes your fitness business to the next level, or you might find that breathing training becomes the focal point for your work with corporate or mental health clients. Once you have the knowledge, you can apply it to your students or clients, your area of interest, and your own life. The possibilities are almost endless.
There are currently 200+ instructors worldwide, from a wide variety of backgrounds including Pilates, Yoga, Strength & Conditioning, Sports Coaching (all sports), Personal Training, Buteyko Breathing, Professional Athleticism, Wim Hof Method, ChiRunning, and more.
Some instructors teach the Oxygen Advantage® Program as a standalone breathing class, while others integrate the program into their existing practice. You may choose to offer breathing retraining classes to help people with asthma, stress and sleep disorders, or workshops exploring the concepts of light, slow and deep breathing for yoga asana practice. The Oxygen Advantage® is a program that can be incorporated into most settings in which the instructor wishes to optimize breathing to improve mental health, sleep quality, respiration and exercise performance.
Interested in breathing for sports performance and health? Here is some further reading...
- Nasal Breathing during Running
- Stimulate your vagus nerve
- Breathing pattern disorders in sports
- Measure and reduce breathlessness during physical exercise
- Improve nose breathing to improve arterial oxygen uptake
- Breathing and Posture
- Improve tolerance to reduced oxygen and increased carbon dioxide
- Help prevent exercise induced asthma
- Athletes and health – FAQs
If there is anything you would like to know about the Complete Advanced Live Instructor Training that isn’t covered on this page, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org